Business Development Trade Mission Kicks off September 30th
Tuesday, September 10th, 2013– Kitchener, ON –Demonstrating the strength of collaboration in Waterloo Region, the mayors of the Region’s three cities will be joining Canada’s Technology Triangle Inc on a trade mission to Germany and the Netherlands to promote the competitive advantages of Waterloo Region.
Cambridge Mayor Doug Craig, Waterloo Mayor Brenda Halloran and Kitchener Mayor Carl Zehr will join CTT Inc CEO John Jung, for a week long business development mission with the following objectives:
- Initiate the next phase of the AfterCare Mission that kicked off last summer with visits to the headquarters of several German companies with a presence in Waterloo Region. The focus of these meetings is to explore any expansion, consolidation plans or interest in establishing a global facility - and encourage them to consider Waterloo Region.
- Pursue new, targeted leads in the food and advanced manufacturing sectors through confidential, executive meetings.
- Generate new leads and increase regional awareness in the global food sector by attending “Food Anuga” in Cologne, Germany -- the world’s largest food and beverage tradeshow -- in conjunction with the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture and Food and Rural Affair representatives and the Ontario Food Cluster
- Conduct a reciprocal visit to the City of Eindhoven, Netherlands and its Mayor to further develop relations and to explore a possible joint 3-way international partnership with a region of mutual interest in Asia.
- Meet with senior Canadian diplomats and trade officers from Munich, Berlin and The Hague to gain insight into their respective economic climate and business opportunities.
“By having our three mayors on these business development missions, we have a greater number of doors open to us, as it demonstrates the level of commitment that Waterloo Region has by bringing key decision makers to the table. This is the first time we have had all three mayors, with customized itineraries, on a single FDI business development mission, all striving equally to bring prosperity to Waterloo Region. We are pleased to demonstrate that Waterloo Region truly is greater than the sum of its parts.” remarks John G. Jung, CEO, CTT Inc.
Cambridge Mayor Craig says he is pleased to be participating in the FDI mission and notes while the investment cycle can be long, the on-going collaboration is important to the region and to the City of Cambridge. “There are so many regional opportunities to share with potential investors abroad. We have the new Boxwood Business Park that will launch later this fall. It will be a very unique opportunity to purchase lots designed with ‘green’ technology and the environment in mind, and will serve as another reason to consider investing in Waterloo Region.
“The opportunity to stand beside Mayor Zehr and Mayor Craig to represent the Region of Waterloo is a tremendous opportunity,” said Waterloo Mayor Brenda Halloran. “Promoting our competitive advantages will ensure our region remains a desirable community from an international perspective and our united front will showcase the strength of our region and our commitment to forging international relationships.”
“I look forward to working alongside Mayor Halloran and Mayor Craig on our upcoming mission to Germany and the Netherlands,” said Kitchener Mayor Carl Zehr. “It is rare that we have the opportunity to all work together, representing the Region of Waterloo, on missions such as this. Working as a team will demonstrate our joint commitment to foreign direct investment, as well as assist in building stronger international relationships and ensure a greater breadth of knowledge is shared among all parties involved.”